Adrian Buchan (AUS), 30, has claimed the 2013 Billabong Pro Tahiti over 11-time ASP World Champion and four-time Billabong Pro winner Kelly Slater (USA) in solid four-to-six foot (1.5 – 2 metre) waves at Teahupo’o. The results were rather controversial with a mis-called priority hiccup which may or may not have changed the result. Many fans have been left disgruntled and are calling for ASP to make a statement regarding the fudging.
South Africa’s Jordy Smith finished in an unfortunate 9th position, with fellow saffer, Travis Logie, finishing up further down the line.
CURRENT ASP WCT TOP 5 (Following Billabong Pro Tahiti):
1. Kelly Slater (USA) 38,950 pts
2. Mick Fanning (AUS) 37,900 pts
3. Joel Parkinson (AUS) 30,700 pts
4. Jordy Smith (ZAF) 29,200 pts
5. Taj Burrow (AUS) 25,400 pts